Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Farkles for Scarlett

Just a posting to describe some of the recent farkling I've been doing to Scarlett, my 2014 URAL Patrol Sidecar Rig, to personalize her for me.

Oxford Heated grips, previously used on my Valencia, my 2011 URAL Patrol, transferred from her to Scarlett when I traded in Valencia.  Randy, the dealer, wanted to make Valencia as stock as possible for her eventual sale.

A Bell 300 Cyclometer, to tell me how fast I am actually going when the speedo needle on Scarlett starts doing the usual windshield wiper dance at speeds above an indicated 50MPH.  It's also got a built-in thermometer.  I had been using it on Brigitta, my '87 R80 when her original speedometer failed, but now that it's been replaced by one from a different airhead, I can re-purpose it.



As on my previous rigs, and also retrieved from Valencia, a cheapo ATV tachometer to help me somewhat know what RPMs the engine is running at.  Not exactly accurate but it works for me.

source: ebay.com
or
amazon

I replaced the stock sealed beam headlight that Scarlett came with with this one I bought on amazon for $39 including shipping.  It's got what I believe is a better reflector design inside the headlight and allows me to use replaceable H4 bulbs readily available from any auto parts store.

Source: amazon.com

Now that Winter is near, I've put on the National Cycle Plexistar Windshield to keep the cold air off me and my hands while riding.  I had bought it used for Valencia, after the Alaska trip, and through much experimentation and later actually reading the manual for it, got it mounted right.    I had, because the previous owner had, the support mounts reversed!  Oh well, live and learn.

I am expecting, a delivery in a couple of days of new ATV grip covers from Kolpin.  They will replace my aging and rather ratty looking Quadboss Grip covers that I originally bought for Maria, my 2004 BMW R1150RT and which I've used on all my motorcycles when the weather is cold enough and heated grips and heavy gloves alone don't cut it.


Finally, the cordura saddlebags I bought from a local purveyor of Horse Tack and Gear, is mounted fulltime on Scarlett.  I use it to carry rain pants and FroggTogg jacket on the left side bag and a camp chair and small covers on the right.  I had always resisted this before as they're not lockable but my Alaska trip and just experience has taught me that most folks don't mess with your stuff when you leave the rig parked.  Will I leave valuable stuff locked up in the trunk still?  You bet.

The saddlebags as they were mounted on Valencia

Finally, I have Heidenau K37 Tires inbound.  I will probably mount them by the end of the year as there's still "meat" on the Duro HF 308 tires that are stock from URAL.  I am estimating maybe 2000 Km more remain on the pusher tire so must get some more riding in before then!

Bring it on Winter....bring it on!

20NOV14: Update: The Bell Cyclometer sending unit's battery couldn't take the cold temperatures sadly, a brand new battery drained down in less than three days.  Have reverted to older Vetta cyclometer with wired sensor.

9 comments:

RichardM said...

I was wondering what you were using for saddlebags in your last post. I just noticed them in a couple of the pictures. Even though there seems like you could carry a lot of gear on the rig, keeping it organized is a challenge.

Bluekat said...

Some nice winter farkling for Scarlett I see.
Ron once had a cycle computer go whacko with readings of 120 mph. This on a bicycle! :)

SonjaM said...

Looks like you're all set up for winter riding. I am sure you'll provide us once again with a stunning collection of winter wonderland pics.

Trobairitz said...

Always nice to do a little customizing. Makes it more functional and makes it your own.

Steve Williams said...

You have a well thought out list of farkles. I have a list in my head but have never written it down. Seeing the handlebar muffs on your list reminded me that I want some for the Vespa. I am so, so, so tired of frozen hands. I don't have those toasty heated grips, just some half warm electric gloves.

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks

redlegsrides said...

RichardM, they're soft bags so can't really carry heavy stuff in them. But they'll do for rain gear and such.

Bluekat, 120mph? was he plummeting off the side of a cliff? that's the only way a URAL rig would achieve that speed. Wacko speedo or not.

Trobairitz, yep...

Steve Williams....can a Vespa's alternator generate enough power for heated grips? Grip covers should help and they're not expensive.

Maineiack2014 said...

Thanks for the information. Will the headlight work on earlier Ural vintages? I have a 2013 Gear Up and I've lost my low beam and am thinking of making this change as well. Thanks again.

redlegsrides said...

Maineiack2014

it should work, so long as you have the three pronged connector and you should. cheers.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks SonjaM, I didn't see your comment till today, hence the late publish. Glad you're feeling better. Thanks for the vote of confidence.