Thursday, February 25, 2016

Review, Fox Racing Comp 5 Shorty Boots, one year later.

As mentioned in the posting one year ago, here's my review of the Fox Racing Comp 5 Shorty Boots.


source: google

I bought these for warm/hot weather riding as my other pair of boots get quite hot in temperatures above 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pros:

One of the reasons I don't like Velcro fasteners, is that the Velcro material quits "grabbing" after a while.  So far, the small Velcro strap at the top of the boots is holding.  In the case of my feet, this top strap does nothing in terms of tightening as the boots are quite snug against my calves.

No tears, rips or parts coming apart.  On other boots, I've had the rubber bits come off the leather portions.

Buckles still work just fine, easy to adjust.  The top buckle is quite hard at times to engage since I've got it to provide snug support for the ankle area.

Good grip in the soles, so long as you're not walking in slick mud.  The traction is OK on snow and ice if you go really slow.

Good waterproof/resistance.  Rain isn't that common here in Colorado but I don't recall a single instance when after riding in either snow or rain where I got home and thought they weren't up to the job in keeping water out.

Cons:

Still a bit warm in hot weather but bearable.  They are not vented, at all.

The boots have thick cushion pad at the top where they meet your calves.  This took a while to get used to but now I don't even think about it.

From day 1, they make my left small toe feel like is pressed into the adjoining toe when I first put the boot on.  This is just on the left boot.  The feeling goes away after walking a few feet.  

The top buckle snags sometimes on the inside lining of my riding pants, I have to reach down to adjust the pant legs up a bit, a minor annoyance.

These aren't boots one would take for long hikes, they're OK for stuff less than say 1/2 mile of walking.

The construction of the boot doesn't allow much "pointing your toe" flexibility when engaging the brake pedal on the URAL.  I've had to modify the brake pedal somewhat to get around this when using this boot.

On my R80 Beemer, gear shifting becomes a bit more of a conscious effort to make sure you get the toe of the boot in the right spot under the shift lever.  I sometimes miss the shift going from first to second at the start of a ride.

Conclusions:

Decent boots for the money, protection appears good and comfort is good for day long rides.

The search for the perfect year-round boots, however, will continue.  On a scale of 1-10 I would rate these an 8.



 Not that aggresive a thread but works OK for me

 The thick cushion I mentioned, guys with large calves
might have issues.

 So far, the buckles and straps are holding up fine.

No real discernable wear on the shifter pad



4 comments:

RichardM said...

Nice review! I've somewhat given up on year 'round boots. I don't think such a thing exists. Getting a pair with a decent tread seems to be a problem as the only ones with a decent lugged sole seems to be the adv style boot. A little more than I need.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks RichardM, those ADV boots that reach to below one's knees are indeed a bit more protection than required for sidecarists and two-wheeled motorists on street motorcycles...not to mention, wouldn't work with my riding pants.

Oz said...

Fox racing makes some good stuff. Nice information. Find the right boot is important and not always easy. Thanks for the review.

redlegsrides said...

Thanks Thomas Osburn.