Saturday, November 11, 2017

Uraling to the Sangre de Cristo Mountains

Decided to boondock an additional day at the Turtle Rock Campground near Buena Vista, CO.

This allowed me, today, to ride down towards Poncha Pass, located just south of Poncha Springs, CO.  It's a very scenic pass as it gives the rider the first awesome view of the majestic Sangre de Cristo (Blood of Christ) mountain range.

 The requisite pass summit sign

 One's initial glimpse of the Sangre de Cristo Range



I meandered about the above area for a bit, doing a bit of reconnaissance for possible future BLM camping sites.  Turns out there's Bureau of Land Management (BLM) land on both sides of US285 through to the town of Saguache.

The cellular data signal for Verizon, my provider, was four bars or better and it was very fast!  I see a stay on some BLM land near Poncha Springs in my future!

Scarlett and I then rode towards the distant mountain peaks show in the above pics, and ended up in the small village of Villa Grove where I found a nice spot to capture the mountains again:

 Cottonwood and Electric Peaks

Pano of the peaks of theSangre de Cristo Range
as seen from the small town of Villa Grove
(big file)

Pictures done, I rode back north towards Buena Vista, the weather remained sunny but it was definitely getting cooler.  I got back to the campsite with no issues, put Scarlett on the trailer and secured her for tomorrow's drive back home.

There wasn't much of a sunset tonight, still it was a great afternoon of riding under sunny skies and temperatures in the mid to high 50s!  Scarlett did great and surprisingly, her MPG results are in the low 40s!  

4 comments:

SonjaM said...

Of course you spent another day boon docking, and teasing us with pictures of endless horizons. Thanks, Dom. I have to admit that I truly admire this lifestyle. I want in ;-)

redlegsrides said...

It's a tough life SonjaM, and I am sure you and Roland would be up to the challenge.

Trobairitz said...

That is a beautiful mountain range. Sometimes I miss the view of real mountains. Our "mountains" just seem like hills after growing up near the Rockies.

redlegsrides said...

Wait till I capture it again while snow-covered Trobairitz, they’re magnificent then.